Anyone can send emails, but if you want to make the most out of your email marketing campaign’s performance, you must be on the cutting edge of the latest techniques. Here are seven tips to create an email marketing strategy that will boost your ROI and keep you ahead of the competition.
Eight Ways to Improve Email Marketing
1. Personalise for Performance
Personalisation is the crux of a successful marketing campaign. It propels your brand forward past your competitors, and helps you connect with your target audience. The first place your email should be personalised is in the subject line. Use the recipient’s first name or some other personal detail to catch their eye immediately. In the body of the email, you can use specific details such as information about the purchases they made.
2. Segment for Success
To create segmented email lists that resonate with your customers, it is important to get to know them. Buyer personas are representations of your ideal customer. By identifying each persona’s desires, needs, and challenges, you can craft customized content that will improve your audience’s experience and increase your conversion rate.
When creating buyer personas, it is important to keep them as simple as possible. Don’t try to create too many personas, as this can be overwhelming. Four to six personas is a good starting point for most businesses.
Here are some tips for creating buyer personas:
- Gather data. You can gather data about your customers from a variety of sources, including surveys, interviews, and website analytics.
- Identify common characteristics. Once you have gathered data, look for common characteristics among your customers. This will help you to create more accurate and realistic personas.
- Give your personas names and faces. This will help you to connect with your personas on a more personal level.
- Keep your personas updated. As your business grows and changes, your personas will need to be updated as well.
By taking the time to create buyer personas, you can create more effective marketing campaigns that resonate with your target audience.
3. Create Consistency
Consistency is vital for the success of any digital marketing strategy. If your customers expect an email from you, they are more likely to open it. Send out emails at random intervals and your emails will probably get marked as spam and you lose your audience. You need to develop an email marketing schedule. Maintaining consistency helps you build rapport with your customers. But don’t just be consistent with your scheduling, you must also be unfailing with your content. Make sure your emails contain information that is interesting and useful to your audience and that they always meet your brand’s high standards.
4. Add Automation
You can maintain consistency in your scheduling by using automated follow-up emails. You can set up workflow emails that are triggered by your leads’ and customers’ behavior. For example, let’s suppose you sent out an email thanking visitors’ who signed up for a free trial on your website. You can follow this with a series of emails over the next few weeks, providing them with additional information and giving them an opportunity to contact you should they have any questions.
5. Manage your Metrics
So how effective are your marketing strategies? You won’t know unless you run conversion rate optimisation such as an A/B test on your emails. Test one variable at a time, such as subject line, calls to action, personalisation, body text, closing text, and images. Each of these variables can a have a massive impact on the success of your campaign, and A/B testing will allow you to tweak your emails to perfection.
6. Seduce with Your Subject
Don’t undervalue the subject line. 35 percent of email recipients open email based on the subject line, and subject lines which include the recipient’s first name have a high clickthrough rate than those that don’t Your list members are already bombarded with emails, so you need to stand out from the rest. Taking time to come up with an impactful subject line will pay off, so let your creativity run free and grab your audience’s attention.
7. Maintain Mobility
Most of today’s consumers read their emails on a mobile device. Keeping mobility in mind will add to the success of your email marketing strategies and will mean that your campaign reaches the widest possible audience. You can make sure your emails are mobile-friendly in the following ways:
- Keep subject lines short
- Keep the body of the email under 600 pixels wide
- Use a large font size
- Avoid menu bars
- Display small images
- Use a single column template
8. Report Regularly
Tracking and reporting are key factors in any successful marketing campaign, whether your SEO agency is running SEO, social media marketing or ppc campaigns for you, reporting is essential. You need to know your stats and use them to your advantage. The purpose of email marketing is to develop a long-term relationship with your clients. Keeping abreast of your analytics will give you a bigger picture of engagement trends, so you will know exactly what your audience is interested in and which goals you are reaching.
Here are some tactics that businesses can use to create effective email campaigns:
- Segment your email list. Not all of your customers are the same, so it’s important to segment your email list so that you can send targeted messages that are relevant to each group of customers.
- Personalize your emails. Customers are more likely to open and engage with emails that are personalized to them. You can personalize your emails by using the customer’s name, location, or past purchase history.
- Use a strong subject line. The subject line is the first thing that customers will see, so it’s important to make it clear, concise, and attention-grabbing.
- Keep your emails short and sweet. Customers are busy, so they don’t have time to read long, rambling emails. Get to the point quickly and make sure that your emails are easy to scan.
- Use visuals. People are more likely to remember information that is presented visually. Use images, infographics, and videos to break up your text and make your emails more visually appealing.
- Call to action. Tell your customers what you want them to do, whether it’s clicking on a link, visiting your website, or making a purchase.
- Track your results. It’s important to track the results of your email campaigns so that you can see what’s working and what’s not. This will help you to improve your campaigns over time.
By following these tactics, businesses can create effective email campaigns that will help them to retain customers, convert leads, and grow their business.
To get the most out of your email marketing, you can use the best practices we discuss to take your email marketing in the right direction for the future.
If you need help, then schedule a free consultation with us to learn more.